Thursday, October 2, 2008

Luck is a vulgar thing

Except when it results in an extended employment contract, with a month off over Christmas, and a pay rise of £150 a week.

A couple of months ago my department moved offices to Canary Wharf. However, last Monday I was back at the old office as I had a meeting nearby. And while I was there the manager of the communications team – we’ll call her Lorraine – came past the bank of desks where I was sitting and asked my colleagues: “So who are Amanda and Josie?” I piped up and introduced myself, although we had met several times before. We had a little chat, a laugh, and she left saying it was good to know who I was.

Three days later my line manager (Keef) pulled me aside and said that Lorraine wanted to offer me a job with the internal communications team.

I know that this offer would have been based on the work that I have done at The Government Agency, and the glowing reference that I am sure Keef gave me.

But part of me wonders if the job was offered to me instead of Josie because I just happened to be there that day and Lorraine could put a face to the name?

No comments: