Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Coach trip!

I decided that it was time I saw a bit of the United State of England, so Kirstan and I joined a group of mostly middle aged people for whom English wasn’t their first language (yes, you too annoying American mom and daughter) and did a whirlwind tour of Windsor Castle, Stonehenge and Bath.

Starting at sparrow’s fart, we headed to Windsor Castle with its towering towers and its extravagant extravagance. No one wants to hear me harp on about a castle, so instead I shall interject with a photo...


We left Windsor and made our way to a pub in the middle of nowhere (Salisbury) via one of the most famous racetracks in the world. Thanks to dad’s detailed description of the rise of the course in the back straight I was able to identify it as Ascot before we came to the main entrance signage, impressing those eavesdropping around me. A pub lunch of bangers and mash just added to the whole Englishness of the day.

Then it was on to Stonehenge, Kirstan’s highlight of the day. It is rather strange that they don’t quite know how or why this amazing stone arrangement was erected (he he he!) thousands of years ago. If you want to know more, go to Wikipedia. Now for some more of my fabulous photography skills...



Kirstan and I nearly got left behind because we were purchasing hot spiced apple tea (think liquid apple pie awesomeness), but just made it on to the bus and had to endure some glares on our way to Bath.

Even though several people told me how lovely Bath was, I wasn’t expecting much. However, it is one of the most gorgeous little towns I’ve been to. We did a tour of the natural spring (our third audio tour of the day, any more and my ears would have started bleeding I fear), where Kirstan had a little paddle despite the numerous verbal and written warnings.

Just in case all this writing was starting to make your eyes bleed, here are some more photos...




With a bag full of presents for my darling nephews and niece and a camera full of (mostly in focus) photos, Kirstan and I made it back to Ye Olde London Town feeling like we'd seen a bit more of this small island.

"And you my love, won't you take my hand? We'll go back in time to that mystic land, Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow, I will take you there, I will show you how"
Stonehenge, Spinal Tap

2 comments:

Scott said...

You are so National Geographic Mandy! Now that David Attenborough has finished with doing docos for the BBC - maybe there's your next contract??

Moi said...

Oh Scootscoot my love, you do read my blog!

Everyone, please extend a warm welcome to Scott, who has finally pulled his finger out and joined us! ;-)