Friday, January 9, 2009

Leaving home and arriving home

I fell off the blog train while I was home over Christmas and in the personal company of my readers, so now that I am back in the United States of England I promise that there will be more regular updates.

It was extremely difficult leaving this time, even more so than when I first left in April. I cried countless times in my last five days at home, and was even crying more than my mum when I said goodbye at the airport. However that came in handy when I was not just overweight but morbidly obese with regards to hand luggage. The lady felt sorry for me and my red face and puffy eyes and let me go. He he he! Just a warning - if I end a phone call with a squeaky “good bye” it’s because I am being a sooky la la and am crying again, so just ignore it.

London did it’s best to ease my transition back. Thursday wasn’t too cold and I didn’t have to wait too long for the bus ride, which took me on the scenic route from Chelsea to Waterloo via Sloane Square with the pretty fairy lights in the bare-branch trees and the towering Westminster Abbey. Then, after being at my desk for 10 minutes my manager offered to extend my contract – an extremely fantastic thing given the doom and gloom of the credit crunch. The upside of the CC is that everywhere is having sales at the moment, with lots of restaurants offering 2-for-1 meals and Ryan Air massively discounting flights. Colleagues stopped by my desk throughout the day to say hello, and my personal email inbox was full with silly banter from my London friends. All of this reminded me why I moved to London, so I’ve decided to harden the fuck up and enjoy it! (Apologies for the swearing mum)

Though I am totally ignoring my father's parting advice that the girl with the most handbags doesn't always win, because she does dad, she does!

I promise more adventures and blog posts soon…


"Wish I was taking you with me, no more goodbyes, no more goodbyes, tell me to stay home"
Leaving the City, Roisin Murphy

No comments: