Thursday, July 8, 2010

Song of the day: I Need Some Fine Wine et al

Today's song of the day is The Cardigans' "I Need Some Fine Wine and You, You Need to be Nicer".

According to Wikipedia... The Cardigans were a Swedish band formed in the town of Jönköping in October 1992.Their debut album Emmerdale (1994) gave them a solid base in their home country and enjoyed some success abroad, especially in Japan. It was not until their second album Life (1995) that an international reputation was secured. The band are best known outside of Sweden for their hit singles "Erase/Rewind" and "My Favourite Game" from the album Gran Turismo (1998) and "Lovefool" from the album First Band on the Moon (1996). Its inclusion in the soundtrack of William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet by director Baz Luhrmann secured their popularity.

While "Lovefool" was all sunshine and bubbles and romance and fluff and bubblegum pop, The Cardigans then did a 180 and came out with the darker, rockier singles "My Favourite Game" and "I Need Some Fine Wine...". Maybe it's a Swedish thing, because Robyn's first single was the B105-staple "Show Me Love" and then she went on to release some freakin awesome tunes that were more at home on JJJ.

Angela is a massive fan of Robyn, so I shall cover one of her songs tomorrow. Hi Angela! *waves*

Well here's a good man and a pretty young girl, trying to play together somehow, I'm wasting my life, you're changing the world, I get drunk and watch your head grow...

No comments: