Monday, July 5, 2010

Song of the day: Friend of the Devil

Today's song of the day is The Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil".

According to Wikipedia... The music was written by Jerry Garcia and John Dawson and the lyrics are by Robert Hunter. "Friend of the Devil" is about an outlaw, on the run from the police. His crime is never explicitly stated. The Devil helps him escape, but winds up chasing him just as the law does; several lines of the song are ambiguous, and could refer to either law enforcement or servants of Satan, such as "I was trailed by twenty hounds", which could refer to either police dogs sniffing his trail, or mythical hellhounds.

Being young and impressionable, I grew up listening to the music that my brother and sister liked, and how vastly different their tastes were! Jackie liked Icehouse and Kylie, Michael liked The Grateful Dead, The Doors, and The Pogues. As a result, I have a rather ecclectic taste in music.

Set out runnin' but I take my time, a friend of the devil is a friend of mine, if I get home before daylight, I just might get some sleep tonight...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's upsetting that you have people out there not likely browsing over this blog. Best wishes

Anonymous said...

Received a amazing venture as well as a excellent encounter by simply reading your blog