Thursday, June 24, 2010

Song of the day: Maria

Today's song is Blondie's "Maria".

According to Wikipedia... "Maria" is a song by the American band Blondie, taken from their 1999 album No Exit. This song was Blondie's comeback single, their first since "War Child" in July 1982. In the UK, it was the band's sixth no.1 single, topping the charts exactly 20 years after their first UK no.1 "Heart of Glass" in 1979.

A few years ago I dated a guitar tech and his friend got us backstage passes to Blondie at the Gold Coast Convention Centre, so we got to sit side of stage for the gig. I had a slamming headache so wanted a drink to take some panadol. Lindz directed me to the catering room, where I collected some drinks for him and I. As I was walking out I literally bumped into Deborah Harry, which caused me to make a little surprised shriek noise and run away.

I sing this song a lot at work, as one of the projects is managed by a lady called Maria and her name is mentioned semi-regularly. Every so often I will start singing and not realise it, such as the other day when I was standing waiting for a lift with Bec. Upon alighting at our floor Bec burst out laughing and told me that the lady we were in the lift with was *that* Maria.

Maria, you've gotta see her, go insane and out of your mind...

No comments: